Are you supporting Movember?
It has been well debated and documented over the years that significant inequalities exist between men’s and women’s health in the UK. Women are offered to participate in cervical screening programs but men are not offered routine prostate screening. Women are invited for breast screening but what about the men? Facts relating to men’s health in the UK are listed below:
· Men live on average 4 years less than women
· Men’s life expectancy varies by 17 years from the least to most affluent areas
· About 350 men are diagnosed with breast cancer each year
· Approximately 500 men are diagnosed with penile cancer
· Prostate cancer is the most common male cancer, with more than 40,000 new cases diagnosed and 10,000 deaths each year
· Each year about 2,300 new cases of testicular cancer are diagnosed, mainly affecting the age group 15-49 years
Movember challenges men to grow a moustache for the 30-days of November, thereby changing their appearance and the face of men’s health. Women play a vital role in the success of Movember by supporting and encouraging the men in their life to get involved and raise funds.
Movember supports world class men’s health programs that combat prostate and testicular cancer and mental health challenges. In 2012, over 92 million pounds were raised by the campaign to support programs that focus on:
· Awareness and education,
· Lliving with and beyond cancer,
· Staying mentally healthy,
· Living with and beyond mental illness and
· Research to achieve the vision of an everlasting impact on the face of men’s health.
This month CliniSupplies is raising awareness for Prostate Cancer. Follow us on twitter to learn more!